Saturday, May 3, 2008

My First Day of Training

So today was the official start of the Chicago AIDS Marathon Training Program for the Bank of America Chicago Marathon.

I actually wasn't planning on going. I figured since it was just an initial timed run, and I had already made plans with my soror to go out the night before, I would just skip the first meeting and time myself running three miles later.

But, ultimately I woke up Saturday morning at 5:30am, saw how beautiful it was, despite predictions of severe thunderstorms all weekend, and (eventually... lol) convinced myself to go.

I grabbed some oatmeal quickly and rushed out the door so that I could grab some water on the way to lake front where the group was meeting. Of course living on the South Side of Chicago, it was nearly impossible to find a simple bottle of water from the gas stations (but that is a whole other conversation about the lack of availability of healthy foods to impoverished communities), but I ended up getting to the beach on time.

There were about 50 people there, most training for the Banco Chicago Half Marathon (a 10 mile race), as well as the Amsterdam, Honolulu and Chicago Marathons. The coaches and program reps gathered us around and talked to us about fundraising and the training program and then off on the run we went!

The instructed us to take it nice and easy and to not huff and puff at all. I definetly overestimated how easy that would be!

I made it about a half a mile before I started getting out of breath and had to start walking. From that point on I ran/walked it the whole way through, trying to fight off my lack of breath! I was definetly having a mental battle with myself, my ego was hurt at all the people passing me, and I wanted to just push ahead and run through my fatigue so I could finish with a faster time.

But to do that would of defeated the purpose of the exercise. They want to know what you are capable of doing comfortably so that they can put you with a pace group with whom you will increase your mileage weekly. So week 1 we ran 3 miles, next week we run 4 miles and by the end of the month we'll be running 7 miles. The only way that you can extend your endurance that quickly is not by sprinting through it, but by taking it slowly.

Like they told us, your endurance gets better whether you go fast or slow, the only thing going to fast to early will accomplish is injury and an inability to finish.

So it was a physical battle to push my body to finish, but it was also a mental battle against my own ego.... I think I spent to much time this morning being disappointed in my inability to run the whole 3 miles, instead of enjoying how beautiful the lake looked in the morning.

In the end though I was surprised, I finished the 3 miles in 39 minutes, averaging a 13 minute mile, which is exactly what I do on the treadmill in the gym. so all that time I was beating myself up thinking I was doing horribly, and I was right on target!

It was really symbolic. In my life I generally spend so much time worrying about what other people are doing and putting undue pressure on myself, and in the end it usually turns out that I'm doing exactly what I'm supposed to be doing, if not better!

I think this marathon is going to teach me a lot about not being so hard on myself and being more confidant. I'm really excited and proud of myself for making this amazing decision to do something so good for myself.

My pace group seems cool. We received our marathon training manuals, and I was back home by 9am.

When I got home my muscles were so tight and so sore. I could barely move! I was also starving out of my mind and exhausted. Nutrition is going to be a big issue for me, I've got to start eating a lot more.... particularly a lot more carbs and protein. Eating a good sized breakfast (i.e. something substantially bigger than just oatmeal) before a long run is going to be key. I will also NEVER schedule a training workout (especially an intense one like I had on Friday) the day before a long run. Who knows.... I may have done a lot better if my body had been 1. better rested (in addition I only slept for 5.5hrs) and 2. better nourished.

So thats the story of my first day of marathon training. 1 long run down 26 more long runs to go!

peace.

No comments: