Friday, May 2, 2008

Chicago AIDS Marathon Training Program

For the last couple of years I've wanted to run a marathon. Something about being able to push your body that hard, the competition that you have to wage within yourself and the accomplishment of winning that inner struggle... has always been really appealing to me.

I would look jealously at the medals my aunt has accumulated over the years from her many marathon runs. And I would always tell myself, "one day" as I looked at pictures of my soror completing a marathon.

But for one reason or another, I put it off in my mind as something I would do sometime in the future.

I first saw a flyer for the Chicago AIDS Marathon Training Program in October 2007. It jumped out at me and I was immediately interested, but, like a lot of things.... it quickly got pushed to the back of my mind as I got distracted by class work and life.

In the last month, advertisements kept popping up at me for the Chicago AIDS Marathon Training Program, I began to wonder if it was some kind of sign. Should I do it? Can I do it?

I had a lot of doubts...

I didn't want to join the training program and then drop out halfway through. I didn't want to not be able to make the $1500 fundraising requirement that the Chicago AIDS Foundation asks from all the runners running in the Bank of America Chicago Marathon. And most of all, I didn't want to get to the race and not be able to make it to the finish line.

I've been through a lot since I've moved out here to Chicago.... and because of all the struggle... I had... and have a lot of doubts about what the future holds in store of me....

but at the end of the day i have to believe....

i am the master of my fate... i am the captain of my soul...

and with that i made the decision.... if the internet registration would take one of my credit cards (which seem to stay in a state of perpetual unavailable balance... lol)... then it truly must be meant to be...

first credit card.... denied

second credit card.... successful registration?....

and with that.... i'm a marathon runner (to be...)

i've decided that the only thing that can keep me from accomplishing my goals is me... i can't live my life in fear of failure.... only with big risks can you have a big reward.... right?

ultimately.... running this race is about doing something healthy for both my mind and body.... and more than that... its about recommitting myself to something i care deeply about... HIV/AIDS....

i started this blog to both share my experiences.... as well as to hold myself accountable to myself and those of you that will (hopefully) support me emotionally and financially (by donating to the Chicago AIDS Foundation on my behalf).

so here I go....

my first task? time myself running three miles....

i'll let you know how it goes!

peace.

p.s. keep checking back for regular updates on my progress... as well as information about how you can donate to the Chicago AIDS foundation

No comments: