Saturday, October 4, 2008

7 Days Until the Chicago Marathon

Wow, the marathon is almost here...

After 6 months of weekly long runs and maintenance runs during the week... I can honestly say that I know I will finish the marathon next Sunday (God-willing).

Its just crazy to finally be at this moment.

My marathon adventure has been full of ups and downs. From fears about whether or not I would be able to raise the money, to underestimating just how much of a commitment accomplishing this goal required, to feeling the sweet success of running 18 miles and then 20 miles two weeks later.

This marathon training experience has taught me a lot about humility, resilience and commitment. Lessons that I know I will continue to carry with me throughout my graduate school years.

Interestingly, a lot of academics compare the dissertation process to running a marathon. They point to some of the lessons that I have learned this season, like learning from setbacks, being positive and the necessity of really dedicating yourself.

So here I am, seven days from the Chicago Marathon, excited, nervous and to be busy with all of my work to really think about it to much, all at the same time.

Much to the disgruntlement of a lot of my friends and family, I haven't really invited anyone to come out and watch me accomplish this goal. Although I will appreciate anyone who decides to come out anyway :-), ultimately, running this marathon is something I am doing for myself and no one else.

I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone, I'm not trying to have bragging rights and I'm not really trying to earn the praise and admiration of those around me.

At the end of the day... deciding to run this marathon was about the first step in my decision to fundamentally change my life.

In April of 2008 I decided that I was going to commit to living a better life physically, mentally and spiritually... the marathon was the first change in a series of changes I have made over the summer and fall around how I think about my life, my daily spiritual practice and how I take care of myself.

So at the end of the day... when I cross that finish line next Sunday, it won't matter (although I can't stress enough that it will be appreciated... I love you all!) whether or not anyone is there to give me a victory hug... because ultimately... it will signify the accomplishment of one of many commitments I made to myself to better myself... and when its all said and done... that is more affirmation than anyone could ask for...

peace.

No comments: